Friday, February 22, 2019

a (true) labour of love...




What is
'A Labour of Love' ??


A couple of weeks back, I was contacted
(by a local woman, via my FB page)
to work on a very special & top secret illustration job...
A series of water-colour cartoons
(a life in pictures) to accompany a Mother's loving speech to her son at his Wedding.
This project was very timely, as I am still recovering from recent hernia surgery,
and have been unable to get out and draw/busk in the street.
So, it meant I could work from the comfort of my purple couch, at home.
This little project became a "real labour of love" for me, seeing how much love
my client had for her son, and wanting to do something *very* special & unique for him.
If you look close enough at the cartoons, you'll see the blood, sweat & tears!!

I don't usually do watercolour in my cartoons... But, realising (very early on) the scope
and life of this project (and how much aroha was needed/expected),
I invested in a nice pad of watercolour paper, and worked my little heart out!
There were a few sleepless nights, and LOTS of coffee consumed...
The deadline was tight! But these pictures were a real joy to create!
And (perhaps?) some of the best work I have ever created
(in a career spanning nearly thirty years!!).

I hope my client doesn't mind me sharing them so publicly, now that the wedding is over.
I am very happy to report that she was SO happy with my work that she even paid
me a (much-appreciated!) bonus!! And she gave me a huge hug as I left, too.
I wish I could have been there, at the family wedding, seeing her proudly
tell her son's life-story, and holding up each of these cartoons as she did so. 
I am very grateful for some of the smaller
(but much bigger, if you know what I mean)
contracts and people that come to me through my work.

"Do what you love - Love what you do."


PS I am very happy to live in a country
where we leave the u in labour, making it "our".
The same with the word humour.
❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment