Saturday, September 3, 2022

(Grand)Father's Day...

 


On this Father’s Day, I’d like to lovingly acknowledge my Mum’s father, 
Alan Whiting. 

When I was a child, Alan was my hero. He showed me (and taught me, through his wonderful example & modelling) that kindness, gentleness, compassion, a strong work ethic, patience & creativity were all important (vital) traits of my developing male personality. 

When Alan died (in the early 80s), it was the first true loss that I experienced. Out of an incredible, unwavering empathy, he left me $5,000 in his will, “towards my education”. This was a highly controversial gesture in my family at the time. He left behind a great many grandchildren and I was the only one that received an inheritance.

Grappling with equal measures of delight, surprise & guilt, I remember asking my Mother (at the time) why he had done this for me. She explained to me that he had always felt deeply for me, watching as I struggled with poor eyesight, my schooling and numerous (unsuccessful) eye surgeries.

In the late 80s, I moved to the Capital. At the age of twenty-one, I was finally able to access my inheritance. By then it had grown to just over $7,000. I used most of the money to attend a local art school for four years. And where, eventually, I’d also be given the opportunity to teach cartooning.

This year, in July, I celebrated my thirty-first year as an art teacher. And I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you, Alan… For your generosity, mahi, empathy & love. I am the man I have become because of you. Personally AND professionally. And I owe you so much for planting the seeds (like the true gardener that you were) that, long after you were gone, grew and blossomed into my life, art & teaching career. I hope you’re proud of me & what I used your money for. My heart is full of gratitude. 

Arohanui, from your grandson Brent XX

“Some say that a garden just grows from seeds, but we think it grows from trying and failing and trying again. A garden is hard work, but so is most of the good, important stuff in life.” Joanna Gaines

(This post originally appeared on my Facebook page on 4/9/2022.)





No comments:

Post a Comment