Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Art imitating life or life imitating art...?

(A scene from television series 'Bosch'. Used without permission. Please don't sue me!)

Have you ever wondered how directly art (in all its wondrous forms) affects & influences us, our daily lives & our tastes?

I've just finished binge-watching four (!!!!) seasons of the American TV show 'Bosch'...

Harry, the main character in it, listens to a lot of jazz. And it is used extensively throughout the show's soundtrack, too.

I listened to a little Miles Davis in my art school years (from the late 80's - early 90's). But it's one style of music that doesn't feature largely in my (very large & eclectic) music collection. I think I have sold most of my Davis CDs over the years.
But now (well), this has happened. In the last week I have found myself listening to more & more jazz. And really, really enjoying it!


So, there you go! An example of art (television, music) influencing my life and my choices...
Thanks Dunedin Library!! And, I guess, Harry Bosch (and your creators) too!!!

“Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.” (Woody Allen)

(This blog entry originally appeared as a Facebook post on 30/8/2019.)


No comments:

Post a Comment