Tuesday, September 3, 2019

the joys of discovering op-shop treasures...




YAY! I just discovered this little treasure in the (Dunedin, New Zealand) Hospice Op shop...

In the 90s/early 2000s Rixon Groove was a tiny menswear label/shop (stocking one-off, innovative and independent, lovingly hand-made works of wearable art), hidden away in Willis St, Wellington (New Zealand).

I still vividly remember buying a wonderful purple suit from Rixon (it had gorgeous green-gold lining) - and I ended up wearing it out, I wore it so much!! *

RG made unique, incredibly colourful fashion statements, boasting the finest fabrics & buttons ever! I spent hours & hours in his shop (boutique?), in complete awe... Wishing I could buy half the stock on his hangers! The waistcoats were amazing!! I still have one (that I purchased for my first big solo art show (opening), way back in 1992.


Opening of "Wear My Inside Out" solo art exhibition,
Mt. Victoria Cafe, Wellington (July-Aug 1992).



And now (twenty-five to thirty years later) I'm finally the proud owner of a Rixon Groove tie!! Undoubtedly the BEST $3 I've spent in an op shop... EVER!!!

*Friends and whanau of much-loved Wellington-based (Nelson-born) muralist/artist Maru 'Marz' Cummings will remember I wore this purple suit (proudly) at his memorial service / farewell, in October 1999. It was his favourite colour.

Maru 'Marz' Cummings, Muralist/Artist (1966-1999).
https://inthishurricaneseye.blogspot.com/2011/01/for-marz-cummings-1966-1999.html

"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only.
Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas,
the way we live, what is happening."
Coco Chanel

(This blog entry was originally posted on Facebook on 3/9/2019.)






No comments:

Post a Comment